Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Last Will

My friend's mother died suddenly last week leaving
                piles of leftover,
                slopped puddles of self pity,
                an opened packet of variegated strife seeds--
                             few left that hadn't been sown.

Her grown children gather in her home
                to sweep and dust her memories,
                and pack her volumes,
                all the while searching for some 
                             half-remembered jewels.

When I leave you, my own dear offspring,
                hear the bell of rope
                against the harbor masts and miss me.
                Bake chocolate chips together,
                             thinking of hospitality and
                             laugh at my greatest guilty pleasure.
                 Wash up with those infernal hand-made
                              dishcloths that I gave out every year.

Whatever I have I give you now.
Whatever you must throw away, throw away now
                               with all your hearts.
Only then, can we finish this poem.


                

No comments:

Post a Comment